About Me

My photo
I'm an artist and art teacher to grades K-5. Life is truly interesting. About 15 years ago, (after being bitten by a copperhead snake, and restricted to the recliner) I re-discovered my love of crocheting. I've made hundreds of items, from huge crochet blankets to tiny jump-drive cozies. It's a sickness! I keep thinking I will eventually get it out of my system. It hasn't happened yet. I can't get enough yarn!!! If interested, you can view my shop at http://threadmill.etsy.com

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Amigurumi: How do you pronounce it?

Amigurumi. It's the Japanese art of crocheting (or knitting) little animal toys. Recently, I've been intrigued by the process of making these weird/cute little anthropomorphic crochet creatures. I've made some strange little things (see my shop, below). So far: a purple monster giving the world the finger and a one-eyed cat with wounds, stitches and a bird feather in its mouth. I'm currently working on a green little guy I'll probably name "Booger." Do I need counseling? Perhaps. I love making amigurumi, but I don't know how it's pronounced. Anyone know?

scratch

3 comments:

Sarah said...

a-me-goo-roo-me

LostRiverRags said...

There's my kitty!!!

Ellen said...

Love your amigurumi kitty pictured all wrapped up in the yarn! I'm teaching my 10 year old daughter how to crochet and she would really enjoy making that adorable kitty. Do you have a pattern for it that you can share or sell?

My Etsy shop

Lake Tillery

Lake Tillery
Can you believe that I live in such a beautiful spot on this planet? I am daily reminded of how lucky I am. This place is always so beautiful, so peaceful. And I'm lucky enough to drive by here at least 20 times a week. Just wanted to share this with you...